1/11/2014

"August: Osage Country".

   I'm so excited today because I'm writing this brand new post. As I told you in my prevoious one, I wanted to give a different "dimesion" to Cattleya, writing film and books reviews. And here it is. What am I going to talk you all about? Well, I watched the new film by John Wells, starring Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts among others- yesterday and I said to myself "Hey, I have to write about this one". So, which is the title of the film? I'm sure you all know becuase it's nominated to several awards already. August: Osage Country.


(*Poster of the film).



Basic Information.

Title: August: Osage Country.

Released: January 02, 2014.

Runtime: 130 mins.

Genres: Comedy, Drama.

Countries: USA.

Director: John Wells. 



Plot.

   August Osage County: A look at the lives of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose paths have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Oklahoma house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them.


Review.

   When the film began I thought that it would be a weak film, but Violet Weston (Meryl Streep) came along and made me laugh and cry. But I suddenly understood it was bitterness and pain what she was trying to express with her fake smile and humor. Then, I found out she had cancer and had become addicted to some pills that helped her to take the pain and aches away. So, she lost control and began to say a lot of things she didn't mean to, but which expressed what she was really thinking . 

   After that, we began to know a little more about Violet and her family. Her husbund, Beverly Weston (Sam Shepard), went missing, so this gathered relatives again. That's when we knew Barbara (Julia Roberts), and the other two daughters of Violet. 

   Alright, what can I say about the main characters? Breathtaking. There're no words I can say to express how I felt "meeting" them. Meryl Streep showed one more time  she has chameleon qualities. She played her role perfectly: tough, stubborn and willing to hide her own feelings, just to keep her steady figure of strong woman. But, after all, she was a woman who suffered; weak and destroyed on the inside because of the lost of her husband and her own health, which was killing her. She gave me that feeling of unprotection and  agony when she played music at loud, dancing alone. Certainly, she was scared and felt quite betrayed by her three daughters. 

   Julia Roberts is quite an overrated actress for my taste, I must say. I mean, I have always believed that after playing Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman, she hasn't done anything that really worth a mention. Perhaps, most of you love her (including me), but I don't know. This is only my humble opinion. After all, I have to admit she did a great work playing Barbara: lost, broken because of the death of her father and the illness of her mother, and struggling a separation and a teenage daughter. But she was strong, and I really love that. She never gave up on her mum when her sisters did. She stayed untill she could.

   I also have to praise Abigail Breslin for her role. She wasn't an important one, but it was nice to see her.  I've always though she was ("is") a tremendous actress, and  it means she is growing year after year as a grown and "mature" actress.

   The film was clearly, or that's what I can elicit, a harsh criticism of the relation between children and parents, once they are grown adults; and, after the whole situation, all of them were only worried about their own stuffs.

   To sum up, I think this film worths a watch, because that's the only way you could ever be able to feel what I'm trying to tell you. One more and last reflection, August: Osage Country (click on the title if you want to see the trailer) is such a strong, full of longing film, set for thrilling your bones. I give it three out five points. What about you?

                                       
                                                           Kiss,Kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment